Related Case Studies
C3 Engineered Wall Systems™ and C3 Fireboard™ provide significantly enhanced energy efficiency with significant time and cost savings…and did we mention a safer place to sleep?
The traditional stick built home construction workflow involves numerous sub-trades — foundation, framing, sheathing, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, drywalling, roofing, etc., etc — and is weighed down by inefficiencies, and quality issues. No wonder projects often take longer than anticipated, run over budget, and result in numerous deficiencies. The C3 Engineered Wall System is prefabricated to custom specifications based on your designs and built in a quality-controlled factory environment. Shipped directly to site, it can provide the foundation and exterior shell all in one beautiful package.
Once built, the outstanding thermal characteristics reduce air conditioning and heating bills, while providing families a safer home that is resistant to water, mold, and fire.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are C3 Panels suitable for flooding conditions?
- No, the panels should not be used where flooding would cause them to be saturated with water. While the C3 and EPS components are unaffected by water, it’s always best to protect the panels from inclement weather during construction and to seal them well so that they do not take on moisture and have to be dried out.
- What are C3 Panels made of?
- The C3 Panels are a “sandwich” construction of a proprietary Cast Cement Composite (C3) board glued under pressure to a core of expanded polystyrene (EPS) insulation, and with studs, plates, spines, and cleats selected for optimum price-to-performance characteristics. All C3 Panels are engineered to be as cost-efficient as is reasonable for the project.
- Will they burn?
- MGO’s C3 Panels are classified as “Noncombustible”, and the face sheets produce Zero Smoke and Zero Flame in the ASTM E-84 Fire Tunnel test. Since nothing is truly fire-proof, given enough time and high enough temperatures, the foam cores will eventually evaporate and the panel will fail, but only after lasting longer than the time for which they are listed.
- Can you explain what a C3 Engineered Wall System is?
- The C3 Engineered Wall System™ is a proprietary method of construction, using precisely-manufactured panels that are rapidly joined together in the field. Each structural panel is comprised of ½” thick Cast Cement Composite (C3) sheets, adhered under pressure to cores of expanded polystyrene (EPS), and strengthened with internal supports. These panels are typically 6 ½” thick for exterior walls and 4’ wide by 8’, 9’, or 10’ tall as single units. They also may be “ganged” together in the factory and shipped to the job site in sizes as large as can be trucked, which is typically 8’ wide x 40’ long. With the proper design and engineering, a building made of C3 panels will be the most efficient building available today.